San Bernardino, CA asked in Products Liability, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for California

Q: Can I sue my home inspector for failing to mention the electrical panel?

I recently purchase a home and hired a home inspector and had the property inspected and decided to move on with the sale. After living in the property for almost a year I hired an electrician, so I could add an outlet for my TV when the contractor saw my panel he refused to work on my property. He stated that the panel was not up to code and that it's a safety hazard and could cause a fire down the road if not fixed. After showing me everything he was talking about it made sense. The first thing was the electrical meter seal was broken, Secondly wires are rubbing against sharp metals, Third thing was that the old panel cannot be used as junction box, Lastly cables coming from the pole to the new panel are connected with smaller gauge wire. I reached out to them and they made me feel out a customer care form but I have not heard anything. All I want is my panel fixed. I hired the inspector so I didn't have to deal with this cables are visible and I also asked the inspector if it was o

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The statute of limitations for negligence is 2 years, breach of contract 4 years, but sometimes different periods apply to certain professionals, such as home inspectors. IMO you need to get your electrical problem solved first, and RETAIN THE OLD PANEL AS EVIDENCE. Take lots of photos showing what is wrong with the panel and how this would be obvious to a home inspector. After you get that fixed, and do it right away, you should contact a local attorney to discuss your personal situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.