Springfield, OH asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Ohio

Q: can you be prosecuted for trying an illegal substance once (one mushroom) in the past even without physical evidence

i did it a long time ago and only now has anyone heard of it so now i am being threatened with prosecution without physical evidence.

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ravenna, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Doing drugs is technically not a crime. Possession of the drug is a crime. That being said, if you were on some type of probation etc. that prohibited the use of any drugs then that could stand. Whether or not the prosecutor can prove that you had possession of a controlled substance or if you have any legal defenses requires a detailed analysis of the facts and discovery from the prosecution. You probably want to see about retaining a criminal defense attorney. Don't forget, you have the right to remain silent in the face if any criminal charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.