Schaumburg, IL asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: Spouse filed for divorce, I signed, but spouse won’t. What can I do?

My spouse retained an attorney and filed a petition for dissolution of marriage (Illinois). I have not retained an attorney due to financial constraints, but I negotiated with my spouse directly. My spouse had her attorney revise the proposal based on our negotiations and had it sent to me again with the revisions. I signed the petition and mailed it to my spouse’s attorney. They confirmed that they received it. Now my spouse is procrastinating signing. I would like this to be resolved ASAP. What could I do to expedite this without hiring an attorney?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Wheeling, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It is not possible to determine what holds up the signing by the other party which was agreed to be signed by both. Possibly you need to discuss legal methods to facilitate that signing or case completion with a counsel of your choice even remotely.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.