Flushing, MI asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Civil Rights for Michigan

Q: The question is long so its in more info plz help

If my ex and i presumably have a child, and she was married had the husband sign the birth certificate with out my knowledge, and ive been sending money to help support and I find out the child is is not mine would I be able to sue to get money that I sent for presumed child if i have records ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Doubtful. It sounds like at this point you are sending her money out of the goodness of your heart and not pursuant to any order - in other words, the money you gave could be considered a gift. The law presumes that each party performs due diligence, and it doesn't sound like you took any steps to establish paternity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.