Fort Worth, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: Can my ex force me to pay for braces for my daughter?

My ex wife, who is the custodial parent wants to get braces for our daughter. I've told her multiple times I am not in a position to pay for them at this time but she is trying to push it through anyways and make me pay for half. Is she able to essentially force me to pay for them even if the procedure is for cosmetic reasons?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Omar Darwich
Omar Darwich
  • El Paso, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: There is something called medical support in Texas.

Under Texas Family Code 154.064, the law requires the parent who is paying child support also normally provide medical coverage for the child through his or her health insurance at a reasonable cost. However, this cost is not to exceed nine percent (9%) of the parent’s annual gross income.

Your best course of action would be to sit down with an attorney and have a discussion.

Not legal advice. Not your lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.