Anaheim, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: My roommate has a pit and I have Chihuahuas we keep them separated. My other roommate was drunk and opened my back door

While the pit was outside. He injured one of my dogs which I paid 1800. It wasn't the pits fault cause he wasn't trained. Can I sue my roommate that owns the dog for not training the dog and can I sue my other roommate who was drunk and opened my back door knowing the rule in the house to keep them separated. Hes refusing to reimburse me . Plus the dog had to be removed from his family of 4 years because of it even thought it wasn't his fault. Emotinally everyone has suffered too

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sorry your dog was attacked and injured. Certainly you can sue the individuals involved, use Small Claims Court, but before you do, you need to consider how you are going to collect on any Judgment you obtain against them. From what you say, you are living with several roommates, I would assume they do not own real property. If you get a Judgment, you are responsible to find assets to collect from- Bank Accounts, valuable personal property, real estate, stocks, bonds, expensive jewelry. Yes, both of these are partially responsible for the injuries to your dog, but when the trial is over, you want to have something more than a piece of paper with numbers on it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.