Cartersville, GA asked in Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice and Probate for Georgia

Q: My husband recently passed away on August 13. Our primary address is in Floyd county ga. Married 29 years. He was at his

sister’s house when he passed.Between the hospital, his daughter and his sister, no one honored his Advance Directive DNR and my POA. He never wanted to be on a respirator which they did do .His daughter went after I presented all of this and got guardianship over him through a judge that she personally knows. Anyway I was kept from getting all his personal belongings and his truck from his sister and his daughter has taken over everything including our storage unit, and his personal affairs. My husband and I was given a partial inheritance from his deseased parents and I need legal help with this also. I don’t have much money on hand but I know this property has great value along with the house. Can you please help me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Georgia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm very sorry for the loss of your husband. In terms of low cost legal services, such as legal aid or pro bono work, it could be difficult to find that where estates are involved. You could check with the Georgia Bar Association. You could also reach out to attorneys who work with probate and estate matters and explain your current hardship, to explore what payment options are possible. You could reach out to healthcare or med mal attorneys on the other issues.

Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.