Columbus, OH asked in Small Claims for Ohio

Q: How I do I get my things back?

Hello! My ex-fiancé told me after we broke up that he would bring me my things as I left quite a bit at the apartment we shared. It has been over 4 months now and he has not brought me my things or responded to my texts. I don’t mind having to go get my things but I don’t know if I can legally enter the apartment - I was on the lease but it ended in February of this year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: I suggest contacting the landlord and coordinating a time to obtain your things. You can also reach out to law enforcement as they often act as a peacekeeper to ensure no issues arise while you are retrieving your things.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.