Diberville, MS asked in Family Law and Child Support for Mississippi

Q: Can I change the name the child support case is in from my mother to me as I'm now over 18 and not living with her?

My mother has been getting child support for me for years. My father still has quite a bit of back pay remaining. I no longer live with my mother, am over 18. She still has the card that the child support money is deposited on and is using it for her own needs. Even when I was living with her she would use it on cigarettes instead of clothes or even food for me. Is there a way to transfer the name the case is in to me instead of my mother now that I'm 19?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: I cannot tell you that it is impossible to do what you are asking; however, I can tell you that I have not seen it happen in the 20+ years that I have been practicing. MDHS is going to assume that your mother used her funds to support you during your minority; therefore, the arrearage amount is basically reimbursing her for funds she has expended. However, the thing to do would be to contact MDHS about this issue and/or your father contacting an attorney with an eye toward asking the Court to allow the arrearage amounts go directly to you. Also, if any of the arrearage was accrued during a period of time that you had moved from your mother's home, your father should ask for a credit for those amounts in order to reduce his arrearage amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.