Omaha, NE asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Litigation for Nebraska

Q: Paternity question- resembling NE case state ex rel. Miah S. V. Ian K.

In my case , instead of State , the plaintiff ( bio dad) has brought a paternity suite in his own capacity using NE statute 43-1411. The children were born during marriage of my wife and myself. We do not have any divorce decree entered. 43-1411 allows state/alleged father/mother to file paternity suites for child born out of wedlock. Our children were NOT born out of wedlock. Can the plaintiff still bypass a divorce petition and ask the court to grant him a cause of action ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: When a child is born during the marriage, there is a marital presumption that the child born during the marriage is a child of the marriage. If the parties remain married, they could object to a third party trying to establish paternity and argue that the marital presumption prevents the third party from trying to claim legal paternity. There is case law that supports that the paternity action should be dismissed, but the best course of action and odds of success in a specific case depends on the facts of the case.

3 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.