League City, TX asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Texas

Q: Can I do anything about DA submitting a court doc with my personal info that is public if I am under witness protection?

I am under witness protection due to being victim of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon but DA has shared the witness list which is now public information online. This is also shared with the defendants lawyer. The list shows my name & address. Is there anything I can do? I've tried calling the DA but keep hearing he will get back to me. The defendant is a stranger to me but is crazy and aggressive even with the cops (kicked the cop car repeatedly while handcuffed and would not behave in court) . He has since gotten a DUI, taken off his monitor, tested positive for meth and has missed court dates. The guy does not care about laws. He's ex military and was deemed combative and suicidal by the local sherrifs office so they would not allow him to enter the court room. Please advise, thank you from the bottom of my heart for any help!

1 Lawyer Answer
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: Your situation seems terrible.

Witness protection can have different meanings and different levels of protection. The DA's office should have a "victim's advocate" or something similar. It is usually the task of that unit or person to handle your concerns. If that is not available you should send a written letter to the judge ASAP and/or call the Judge's clerk or secretary and tell them of your concerns. The judge may be able to issue a protective order in your favor, which would protect you. Everything you do with the DA from now on you should do in writing to put them in check.

I wish I could help you more. If the DA is not doing his job or is violating any ethical rules you could contact the Texas bar and file a complaint against the DA.

Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.