Vienna, VA asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Virginia

Q: I was a victim of police violence, denied my constitutional rights, falsely arrested for and convicted of a crime

Five officers dragged my face along a parking lot then covered it up by claiming I had a "Nose Bleed". I submitted hard evidence to prove my injuries were NOT from blunt force, but from dragging. Both the Civilian Board, Police Auditor or Internal Affairs did not consider ANY OF MY EVIDENCE. I just saw this law § 9.1-600. Civilian protection in cases of police misconduct; minimum standards. Who enforces this? The whole experience was SO UNFAIR. The IAD even found the police withheld exculpatory evidence (squad car video of them torturing me!). We did not get this tape for 50 days and b y then it had been completely altered / tampered with. How can they get away with such clear violations???

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ashley Robinson Winn
Ashley Robinson Winn
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You can file a citizen complaint under Virginia code section 9.1-600. Your attorney should approach the Commonwealth’s attorney about the withholding of exculpatory evidence to see if he or she might reopen the case. This is serious misconduct. Talk with IAD again.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.