Wellesley Hills, MA asked in Child Support for Massachusetts

Q: Ex stopped paying child support because he had one and I had one. His is 19 and out of his house. Mine is 17.

We had five. When third turned 18 he stopped support because he had one and I had one. Now I am only one with dependent child. Can I get support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kim Carnevale
Kim Carnevale
  • Salem, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Massachusetts child support laws allow for child support and educational expenses payments even after your child turns 18 and up to 23 years of age. The court looks at whether your child is “principally dependent” upon one parent which is usually understood to mean that the adult child lives primarily with one parent and includes time when your child is living at college as long as he/she lives with you during breaks and school vacation. An attorney can help review any orders you currently have in place to determine how best to proceed. Child support may be awarded retroactively, but only back to the day of filing, so If you are entitled to support, you should consider that as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.