Asked in Employment Law for Arkansas

Q: My job is not allowing me to clock in and work but not paying me, due to a problem I can't resolve. How do I get paid?

My company is based in Colorado and I live in Arkansas (work from home). On August 1st I noticed I was unable to login to one of the sites we use for the job. I immediately notified them and was given the login of someone who is above the team leads. Then I was given the login of my team lead later on. They had me call an internal department the client uses to resolve login issues. That department said that my company didn't renew my contract and I show in the system as terminated. The person above the Team Leads told me that I am NOT terminated. I even got a Team Lead training a couple weeks later. They said they made tickets and it's resolved and I tried to login but it wasn't resolved. They said they would continue to try to resolve the issue. On September 22nd they told me I'm on work stop. This is totally wrong as I have no ability to fix the issue and they caused it entirely on their own. How do I get them to pay me?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Employees must be paid for their work, and your employer's system issues do not give them an excuse not to pay you while the system is fixed. If you are still performing work during this time, you should keep track of the hours you work and submit these for payment like you would using the normal clock-in/out system.

Chris W. Burks
Chris W. Burks
  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Thanks and if you are continuing to do work that the company is aware of, and there is communication about that work, then you are still employed by the company and owed atleast Arkansas and Federal minimum wage. This is of course assuming the company is of the size and type that qualifies. You should save evidence of the work you are being asked to continue to do to present to your employer for payment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.