Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: Is it possible to take a plea deal while being incarcerated?

Currently incarcerated in Oklahoma and have an outstanding warrant also in Oklahoma. Is it possible to plead guilty and take a plea deal whilst I'm still in prison? There is an additional warrant in Kansas where prison time will be served once this sentence is over

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It’s actually quite common. Many times people are sentenced to prison before they resolve or dispose of other pending felony or misdemeanor charges. Rather than waiting until they discharge or complete the sentence, often times they hire attorneys to file a writ of habeas corpus to bring them back to court and played the case so that the time is served concurrently rather than waiting until they get out

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.