Q: My father past away. No will. 3 heirs.I lived with dad past 13 yrs and I'm on dialysis. Estate in PR.What are my right.

I don't want to sell but my heirs do. My brother owes $40,000 in child support reason for his need to sell my sister really don't care about the house. Plus I'm in process of getting 75% of dad's social security benefits I'm on dialysis for life and I'm in peace living here. Family driving me crazy and effecting my health in negative ways. Thanks.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Probate Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: First off, I'm assuming that your father passed away in Puerto Rico. Although you state that he did not grant a Last Will and Testament, this fact should be confirmed through the Office of Notary Inspections ("ODIN", by its Spanish acronym). We must also verify that a Declaration of Heirs has not been previously procured before a Notary-Attorney in Puerto Rico; thus requiring to go through Puerto Rico courts. Also, you've made no mention whatsoever regarding your mother, so I can take that to mean she is either deceased or does not otherwise participate in your late father's estate. When did your father die? Was your father married at the time of his passing? If so, your father's widow may also be an heiress.

The rule of law in Puerto Rico states that no one should be forced to remain within a estate community ("comunidad de bienes") and this, too, applies to hereditary communities. Nevertheless, before any inheritance rights are presented before the Public Registry, the Puerto Rico probate courts must declare you three heirs to your late father. Several vital documents will need to be presented to the court, as part of the process, to prove your rights to succession. Eventually, your names will be inscribed with the Public Registry as the new owners of your dad's house.

Until this happens, your father's house cannot be sold nor mortgaged; since the Public Registry will only recognize your father (and his wife?) until such a time as the succession is notified via a probate court resolution or sentence. Once your rights are registered, the house may only be sold, donated, mortgaged, or otherwise disposed of by all three of you appearing for the signing of the corresponding deed before a Notary-Attorney in Puerto Rico.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.