Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Puerto Rico Intellectual Property Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property, Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: My dad has property in Puerto Rico. He is now in a nursing home in NJ. Will we lose the property? What can I do to claim

I would like to know if notorized letter is signed in NJ will it help with changing name on property in PR. Not sure, what I need to do as my father is now in a nursing home. He never fixed the right papers to leave me the property. I don't know if the property will be lost?

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Nov 5, 2019

No, a notarized letter is not sufficient to transfer real property. You need a properly drafted deed signed and notarized by your father. First you'll need to determine the ramifications of a transfer. Will this effect medicaid /medicare, will it be a taxable gift, does he have an estate plan,... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.