Santa Clara, CA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Immigration Law and Federal Crimes for Massachusetts

Q: 2 years ago, my friend married a guy but he's using her for the green card. How can I report him anonymously?

This guy is from Haiti. He has been staying on the tourist visa and he seduced my friend to married him. He has a kid with her now: a 2 years old daughter.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI

A: More information is needed, but it cannot come from her. You have no affirmative duty nor direct evidence of fraud by the husband! Strangely, you ‘may know’ more incriminating facts about her!

It reads more like, she ‘seems to want’ out of a marital relationship that appears to have been “entered in good faith.” Her claim calls for assumption and speculation that you are unlikely to validate. It’s probably best ‘not’ to get involved for the long run. You can’t assume anything told to you, to put it, politely.

‘If’ she is being unfaithful, or intimate, because she and her husband have fallen out of love, then she should have considered divorce, first. There are too many questions to ask, so avoid delving into this personal chapter in her life. Let her close the book on it!

Some terrible things can happen when people fall in and out of love. Relationships that are created can be destroyed. Things are said that shouldn’t be said. Claims can be made to justify questionable conduct. It is best to stay out of it! Again, she ought to end it. She’s the only one who can unless he does, first!

If her current husband wants to continue their relationship, but she doesn’t say anything, nor cares to seek counseling, then it won’t become clear to him that it’s over.

She has to tell him the truth and/or seek separation and divorce. Both should meet with a divorce attorney. He probably needs an immigration attorney. Child custody issues may be on the way!

Another question may be “who was/is/ be(ing) unfaithful and when?” You can’t know this question. You weren’t everywhere! Also, what irreconcilable differences led to this situation? There are too many unknown issues here. Neither of us likely will ever know enough. You may or may not want to know!

Either way, you should carefully evaluate your relationship with this woman friend. That is, whether you ‘should’ place any trust in these statements other than her marriage should be over, perhaps. Also, you don’t know what your relationship may be to the man who can become her former husband and his children.

Frankly, it’s unclear who you should tell nor whom to believe! Assuming, she is merely getting verbally intimate to attract attention, you must decide who’s getting seduced?

Also, whether you can/have keep/kept it verbally intimate until she is actually divorced, but that is a personal decision. In many states, adultery can still be a crime, even if it is rarely enforced. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.