Burke, VA asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Civil Rights for Virginia

Q: I pled guilty to a charge under duress now I'm a felon. How can I have my case reexamined?

In 2017 I was brutally assaulted by 6 police officer during a mental health crisis. After I called an officer out for kicking me in the head he charged me with assaulting a police officer. I weighed 115lbs at the time. I was covered in bruises and my wrists were so swollen I couldn't be properly handcuffed. My lawyer failed to visit me in jail for 2 weeks or more. I was threatened with 15 years in prison and on the advice of my lawyer I took a plea deal. The entire encounter was caught on multiple body cams. My lawyer claimed the videos were too dark to see and felt the audio was not the best. I was released in 2019. What can I do now?

1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron Pomeranz
Aaron Pomeranz
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Unfortunately, you do not have any appeal avenues regarding the criminal matter available because of the passage of time beyond the deadlines.

If you want to seek possible civil rights claims against the police officers, you need to speak to an attorney that is an expert in those matters to evaluate a possible claim. Time is of the essence because there are statutes of limitation issues that need to be evaluated as well.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.