Sonora, CA asked in Business Law for California

Q: business paid half for work i had contract for 2 years ago they are coming back and wanting that money back

had contract, got half money, bought equipment, head guy died project put on hold two years later nothing now they want the money back.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Shawn R. Jackson
Shawn R. Jackson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Rohnert Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As you might imagine, the answer will rest in any written agreements ... any written email, text communications ... and/or other currently missing information ... the next step is for you to schedule a free initial video call or telephone call ... for further discussion ...

Jonathon Maddox
Jonathon Maddox
  • Redding, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As my colleague has stated, it would depend on what the contract that you signed actually says. Generally there's a clause or two about who takes responsibility for the project being put on hold, or how to handle the contract if something happens, (like the "head guy dying"). If there isn't anything in the contract that directs this circumstance, you would likely want to get a lawyer to view the contract, and any other communication over the past 2 years that may have "modified" the contract.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.