Oak Harbor, WA asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Washington

Q: I was arrested and sentenced on a drug charge in California, I live in Washington state. Can new legislature effect me

It was at the Otay border and I took the plea for 36 months. Washington state has basically decriminalized drug possession and I was just wondering if it could effect my case

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: I'm afraid not. The change in WA drug law was a very specific ruling based on the wording of the WA possession statute, which was unique in the country. This change would not affect convictions from any other state or the federal system.

If you want to read more about how the change came about, see our blog: https://www.kitsapdefense.com/blog/2021/february/did-drug-possession-just-become-legal-in-washing/

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.