Brandon, MS asked in Child Support for Mississippi

Q: Can i ask for child support modification when i retire from govt job of 30 years in MS as my income will be lower?

Will this retirement be considered voluntary if it's for the 30 years which is the benchmark retirement year? I will be 55 years old at that time. I'm also in bad health with multiple issues with my spine and knee and severe anxiety.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Yes, you can ask for a reduction of child support at retirement; however, it will not be rubber stamped. The court will look at several factors while making a decision to grant or deny your request, e.g. your age, your health, the reason for the retirement, your ability pay, whether you can/will seek alternative employment, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.