Gainesville, TX asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Texas

Q: Can I be trespassing

I live in Texas and me and my wife are separated but not divorced she still had all my property at her house I had a detective called me and told me that if I show up there I will be arrested for criminal trespassing can I legally do this even though she’s in possession of all my clothes and stole my truck from me

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can be arrested and charged with any offense that the detective believes you committed. If that happens, a proper defense will be stressful and expensive. You would be wise to spend your time and money on a divorce attorney to get access to your stuff in a manner approved by the court rather than taking a DIY approach and risking criminal charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.