Torrance, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Can I travel internationally before my new green card arrives?

My I-751 petition to remove conditions on residence has been approved and I received the approval notice today. I also received the update online that my new card has been issued and mailed to me. However I need to travel internationally very soon, and I’ve already filed the reentry permit application which biometrics is taken already. My old 2 year new card has been extended until next summer. Can I travel internationally before my new card arrives? Do I need to get i551 stamps? I was planning to have my spouse forward the new card to me internationally before the reentry.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Wheeling, IL

A: The most efficient way to secure your admission upon arrival would be calling the USCIS Customer Service, ask to be requested to Tier II agent and request a personal infopass to place an I-551 LPR stamp into your valid foreign national passport.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.