Dearborn, MI asked in Products Liability for Michigan

Q: I was persuaded to put furniture in my name for somebody who said they would pay for it but they didn’t

They furniture place won’t go get the furniture instead they sent the account to their legal team what can I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Not much you can do except either 1) get the furniture back yourself and return it to the store, or 2) pay the bill. It's your name on the dotted line; your problem now.

When you signed for it, the store is holding you responsible for it. They don't care about who the furniture is with or how it came to be that you signed for it. If this other person showed a willingness to pay, the store would have let them buy the furniture; that they had to get you to buy it for them is a strong indicator that something like this was likely to happen. You are likely to discover this person is going to be more than willing to let you take the fall for all this and not help in anyway.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.