Brandon, MS asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Mississippi

Q: Can Ms cps stop parents from getting medical updates from hospital on baby? I have been cooperating and very involved

My baby is in NICU. MSCps took custody this week. I have called hospital every single day since she was born to check on her. They have restricted the hospital on giving me, her mother, any info. I have done andor currently everything they have asked. They said bc they havent heard my voice in three weeks all of a sudden they want to say I have been by passing their authority by calling hospital. I never was told I couldn't call. I was actually told in writing I could get updates over phone. I didn't know or was never told I had to do a weekly check in esp if nothing has changed in those few weeks. Isn't that my right as a mother who is trying to get my tiny baby back to get medical updates?

1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Yes, you have the right, as her mother, to receive medical information of your child, unless you were using that information in an inappropriate manner. If CPS continues to interfere with this right, you may have to contact the social worker’s supervision or go to court and ask that any such restriction be removed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.