Oklahoma City, OK asked in Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: If I have emergency custody of my son but I let his dad have him and he has had him for the last 5 years what can I do?

Do to get visitation? His dad won't allow me to see him and he never went to court to change the status of me having emergency custody. I do not want to take my son from where he is, its a lot to explain why I got emergency custody and then gave my son to his dad...He won't tell me where my son lives and he won't let me see him. I don't have the money like I once did to be able to go back to court and he says he has proof that my son has been with him for the last 5 years which is true.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I am sure there are logical reasons for your choices, however if you had emergency custody and then gave your son back to the father then you violated the court order as well as ignored the emergent situation that brought about the custody. This is not something you should attempt to handle on your own and you should seek counsel from a family law attorney as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.