Dublin, CA asked in Domestic Violence for California

Q: What should I do when my ex used my friend to tell me to sign papers stating I falsified a restraining order?

I was granted a restraining order from my ex (which we both went to court and he admitted). Now, a mutual friend is trying to make me sign papers saying I lied about it all because he wants custody of his daughter that he had with his ex wife.

The mutual friend said my ex and his current wife will go after me because they are rich and have connections to sue me and make me go to jail.

Can they even do this and what should I do? I did not lie to get a restraining order and my ex even admitted to it in court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: much more info is needed.

i would suggest making an appointment with a lawyer in your area and explain all this to get options and provide all the info.

you can also go to the DA who is prosecuting him...i assume.

you know him better than we would and whether he would use the courts to retaliate and whether you could set him up for an action against him for retaliating.

sounds like blackmail?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.