Houston, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: Am I responsible for paying for an error in my rent price from two months ago? Can the landlords charge late fees on it?

My rent was raised from 942 to 1067. I paid it for July but in August and September I was billed 942. Now October they want me to pay balance from August/September and late fees. Is this legal since the error was on their part?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leroy Scott
Leroy Scott
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your lease says $1067, it's not illegal for them to bill for that amount, even if they billed the wrong amount initially.

Teri A. Walter agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.