Yukon, OK asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: How do I obtain a documents stating I have Sole custody. Our son was born out of wedlock and we never have gone to court

For 9 years I have had custody of my son. I have made all major decisions regarding education and how he is raised. He has lived with me and been financially supported by me since his father has never paid child support nor have we gone to court to establish custody. We were never married or in any kind of relationship, but I have maintained a civil and amicable relationship with him in the best interest of my son maintaining a healthy strong relationship with his dad. Never denying him the right to see his son when he wanted - which for the majority of our sons life was based off his convenience. He has hardly tried to help support him financially even without me ever asking for child support. Now he has refused to return my son after one of his regular weekend visits and is trying to make him into his home and un-enroll him for his current school he has been established in for the 5 years and transfer him to a school closer to his house, and has done so forcefully with out concent

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you have never been to court, there would not be any court documents stating that you have custody. However, since you were not married, you would be considered the custodial parent by statute. I published a Blog Article that explains custody of children born to parents who are not married. Although the article is written from a father's perspective, you may find it useful in that it explains all the hoops he would have to jump through to establish any rights to this child. I have pasted the link below. Best of Luck!


1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.