Lebanon, KY asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Kentucky

Q: How do emancipation laws work for teenager mothers?

A young lady 16 years of age has been living with her boyfriend for well over a year, which was known by both parents, they have even picked her up for dinner and dropped her back off at his home. She has since had a child and has been solely supporting herself. What if anything can she do to stop from being sent to mental health rehab against her will! Her mother expressed that she could fend for herself and she would not be their for help if she needed it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: File a petition for emancipation in the district court of the county in which she resides.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.