Waverly, OH asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: My grandmother died and owes on her mortgage. Could you tell me the process of me being the successor of the property?

We were living with her when she died but without the deed we can't get water in our name and we can't pay mortgage payments without them giving us the account info

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can check the county real estate records to get a copy of the deed. A family member will have to file her will in the probate court to be appointed executor, or if she had no will, apply to be appointed administrator of her estate, who will then have legal authority to deal with her finances, mortgage, utility accounts, etc. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local probate attorney to review the situation and advise you how to proceed with the probate process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.