Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Ohio Foreclosure Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Divorce, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Ohio on

Q: I purchased a house before I married my current husband. Its in contract to sell. He won't sign for it to sell.

My name is the only name on the loan and it is in my previous name as well as the only name on the deed. If he doesn't sign it will foreclose. What options do I have?

Timothy Denison answered on Jul 31, 2018

File for divorce and get an order to sell the house from the divorce court.

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Ohio on

Q: An investor is offering to buy my home (going to sheriff's sale soon). What are the risks?

I've not lived there in over six years and filed bankruptcy on the loans many years ago. I have no interest in keeping it and was just waiting for it to sell in the sheriff's sale. He wants me to sign a quit claim deed and says he will take care of the rest of the process (paying the taxes and... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Jan 3, 2018

Advice? Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local real estate attorney to review the offer and advise you. It could be a scam.

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Civil Litigation for Ohio on

Q: I have had a garnishment since 3/20/2015. I have paid $18,641.43 to date. Things were okay until my mother passed away.

She used to help me with bills. I am now two parents behind on my mortgage and do not know where to turn or what to do. Is it possible to have the garnishment stopped or lowered?

Bruce Martin Broyles answered on Jul 7, 2017

In order to stop the garnishment you may want to consult a bankruptcy attorney about having the debt discharged. On the mortgage you can request assistance from your lender by requesting a loan modification application.

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Ohio on

Q: I received summons regarding foreclosure on my home. I am currently in a repayment plan with lender. Should I respond?

Should I respond to court within 28 days as noted even though I am in a repayment plan?

Matthew Williams answered on Mar 8, 2017

Yes, do not ignore a summons. It's probably a mistake, but if you ignore it, the court will enter judgment against you.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Ohio on

Q: I've been separated from girlfriend for 6 years. I'm still on mortgage she has been paying, but has defaulted June 2106.

Now my credit has dropped 200 points. The home is in pre-foreclosure and she has filed for bankruptcy. Will lenders come after my assets? Anything legally I need to do?

Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 13, 2017

You signed the loan, so you are legally obligated to repay it in full, or the lender can sue you, foreclose, and collect from your assets. If you do not bring the mortgage current by paying the past due amounts, then the lender can foreclose, and you will be named as a defendant. If the property... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Ohio on

Q: Can the bank foreclose on my home, if I'm the only one on the deed and my ex husband is the only one on the mortgage?

I'm in Ohio - Wayne County. When my now ex husband and I bought our home, we were both on the deed but the mortgage was in his name only (my student loans were too high for us both to be on). When we divorced, he quit-claimed the deed to me.

Now he is solo on the mortgage and I am solo on... Read more »

Matthew Williams answered on Mar 1, 2016

Regardless of the ownership arrangement, the bank can start foreclosure proceedings if you do not make your payments.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.