Pembroke, KY asked in Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: Having permanent custody and parents having only supervised contact, is co-parenting even an option?

After almost 2 yrs. going to court after DCBS removed our grandsons from their parents, we were given permanent custody of our grandsons in Jan. Dad is in jail and gets supervised phone calls. Mom gets supervised visits. Mom just completed 28 days of rehab and is now saying that she wants us to co-parent. She says she should be informed before we take them anywhere for day trips and especially over night and that any decisions we make should be run by her or their dad before we do anything. It is our understanding that we do not have to do any of what she is asking/telling us. What should we tell her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You don’t have to inform her of anything. You have custody and can act in the children’s best interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.