Saint Joseph, MI asked in Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: I need to sell my home but other person on deed refuses to

The home is being rented out by someone that can’t find another place to live but I need to sell the home due to financial hardship. We are on the mortgage together. What are my options since the other party refuses to corporate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: That depends on how the other person and you own the property jointly — as joint tenants with rights of survivorship or as tenants in common …

You need to take your deed (the mortgage is not relevant in selling the property as it will just need to be paid off at the closing in any case) to a licensed local real estate attorney to review and get better information on what to do next.

This answer is offered for information only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship. Please seek local legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.