Indianapolis, IN asked in Legal Malpractice, Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury and Products Liability for Indiana

Q: How to find an attorney for malpractice tort?

I filed a complaint with attorney general's office Indiana about sub standard treatment. Which resulted in harming me more. Consequently, the outpatient clinic retaliated. Their actions didn't just exclude being treated by their facility, it effectively denied me treatment at any facility. Since it was the only one of its kind -community outpatient clinic in Marion county Indiana. I became very sick and didn't have access to reasonably required care. Treatment made me sicker and then due to my complaint I was punished and my diminished capacity interfered with filing anything further. Malpractice is two year statues in Indiana. However, I wanted to also find out how difficult it might be to toll the statues(?) Its well documented. If a civil case is something to consider than I still have time. If Indiana civil case is six years than I have two and half years left. I have concerns regarding the Indiana attorney general's office complaint. Its very intimidating. Plausible?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Only an Indiana attorney could advise here because statutes of limitations for med mal and other actions are governed by state law, but your question remains open for a week. You may want to consider reaching out to a local attorney to discuss in detail, and examine the legal theories on which you contemplate action. As a general premise in most any jurisdiction, if a matter is unequivocally med mal, it might be difficult to argue to rebrand it as a different cause of action for the purposes of trying to benefit from a longer statute of limitations - but this is something only an Indiana attorney is qualified to meaningfully discuss this with you for your specific situation. What I've stated is only a generality. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.