Indiana Legal Malpractice Questions & Answers

Q: I need help with filing my appeal for my disability with my social security redetermination.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Appeals / Appellate Law, Legal Malpractice and Social Security for Indiana on
Answered on Oct 24, 2017
Chase T Wilson's answer
Call the Indiana BAR Association at (317) 639-5465. They'll be able to refer you to someone who handles SSI Claims.

Q: My lawyer did nothing in my case was MIA FOR FOUR MONTHS

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Personal Injury and Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Answered on Jul 29, 2017
Alexander Florian Steciuch's answer
Consult with a malpractice attorney in your area and if you wish to file a grievance against him or her you can do so with the disciplinary commission.

Q: How do I turn in a lawyer for bad practices

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Answered on Mar 27, 2017
Alexander Florian Steciuch's answer
You can report your lawyer for misconduct or bad practices to the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission.

Here is the link to their website:

Q: In the state of IN can you legally hire an attorney you know personally outside of the case?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Answered on Sep 25, 2016
Paul Stanko's answer
I see no reason why you could not retain an attorney you knew socially.

Q: If I want to sue a lawyer for malpractice in Florida and I live in Indiana which state do I need to find a lawyer

2 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Answered on Aug 30, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
Florida. You have to sue where the act took place. Look for a member of the Fla. Assn for Justice in the county where the lawyer you want to sue works. They give free consultations.

Q: Do I need to sign a "consent to withdraw" after firing my attorney in Indiana?

2 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice and Contracts for Indiana on
Answered on Aug 3, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
You can reword it to say "I knowingly and willingly consent to Mr. withdrawing as counsel in my case."

Q: My ex use to work for the prosecutors office. She has contacted an old friend at the court house asking to be notified

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Answered on May 6, 2016
Russell B. Cate's answer
Court filings are a matter of public record so anyone can look to see what has been filed. I do not believe it is illegal for your ex's friend to "keep an eye out" for incoming filings.

Q: My attorney charge me full rate instead of 45 percent when we settled our case can he do that

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Answered on May 12, 2015
John M DeProspo's answer
I'm not sure what you mean by "full rate." It all depends on the language in the retainer agreement. Ask him for an explanation. This would not be considered a legal malpractice issue.

Q: I hire a lawyer, friend asks questions to lawyer, lawyer answer his questions is this a breach of contract?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Answered on Jun 30, 2011
Terrence Rubino's answer
communications between a lawyer and a client are confidential. if you had a friend sit in with you and your lawyer then that confidentiality is waived as to that meeting. any questions answered by the lawyer to the friend at that meeting is acceptable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.