Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Indiana Legal Malpractice Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Q: Why does the chronological case summary say that a notice of discovery was filed by me when I haven't done ANYTHING?

My husband filed a petition for dissolution of marriage behind my back on 10/23/2020 and it looks like his lawyer submitted a bunch of stuff to the court. I haven't talked to anyone, hired a lawyer, or talked to his lawyer AT ALL. It shows that a notice of discovery with the "filed... Read more »

Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson answered on Dec 2, 2020

It may have been an error by the clerk. You can try to contact the court to have them correct the CCS entry.

Also yes, effective service is required on you in order for the divorce to proceed.

Hope that helps.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Q: I have a warrant. My lawyer didn’t appear in court after telling me the day before I didn’t have to go. What do I do?

I can’t get ahold of my attorney. Clark County Indiana

Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Sep 4, 2020

What county did this happen in?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Products Liability and Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Q: This company failed to put warnings on packaging. Can I and should I sue the company. How do I sue the company?

I decided to get a face mask while i was at the store. I put the mask on and it started burning and stinging. Apparently I'm allergic to it since my whole face is blotchy, red, and swollen for over 2 hours now. The product has no allergic reaction warnings. The product also does not inform... Read more »

James Avery
James Avery answered on May 10, 2020

It’s not inherently unsafe if you had an idiosyncratic reaction; however, report it to the CA BBB and Consumer Product Safety Commission. If you end up having serious disfiguring scars it might be worth talking for their to a lawyer.

Q: I need help with filing my appeal for my disability with my social security redetermination.

I was approved by the SSA to be a disabled person in 2014. It was for depression and arthritis. I recently had to go for a redetermination and then was found to be not disabled and then was told that I was found disabled due to mood disorder and anxiety disorder and then that was never the reason... Read more »

Chase T Wilson
Chase T Wilson answered on Oct 24, 2017

Call the Indiana BAR Association at (317) 639-5465. They'll be able to refer you to someone who handles SSI Claims.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Personal Injury and Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Q: My lawyer did nothing in my case was MIA FOR FOUR MONTHS

When we went to court the judge gave my ex every thing leaving me homeless and broke

Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch answered on Jul 29, 2017

Consult with a malpractice attorney in your area and if you wish to file a grievance against him or her you can do so with the disciplinary commission.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Q: How do I turn in a lawyer for bad practices

He had his assistant telling me to steal soon to be ex credit cards charging over 10,000 for nothing was recused at court now I have nobody to represent me

Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch answered on Mar 27, 2017

You can report your lawyer for misconduct or bad practices to the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission.

Here is the link to their website:

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Q: In the state of IN can you legally hire an attorney you know personally outside of the case?
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Sep 25, 2016

I see no reason why you could not retain an attorney you knew socially.

2 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Q: If I want to sue a lawyer for malpractice in Florida and I live in Indiana which state do I need to find a lawyer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 30, 2016

Florida. You have to sue where the act took place. Look for a member of the Fla. Assn for Justice in the county where the lawyer you want to sue works. They give free consultations.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: Do I need to sign a "consent to withdraw" after firing my attorney in Indiana?

I told him I did not want to work with him any longer after he was very unprofessional. He sent me a "consent to withdraw" form. It seems to indicate that he initiated the break in our working relationship.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 3, 2016

You can reword it to say "I knowingly and willingly consent to Mr. withdrawing as counsel in my case."

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Q: My ex use to work for the prosecutors office. She has contacted an old friend at the court house asking to be notified

If I file any motions. Is this legal for the court employee to watch for and notify her?

Russell B. Cate
Russell B. Cate answered on May 6, 2016

Court filings are a matter of public record so anyone can look to see what has been filed. I do not believe it is illegal for your ex's friend to "keep an eye out" for incoming filings.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Q: My attorney charge me full rate instead of 45 percent when we settled our case can he do that
John M DeProspo
John M DeProspo answered on May 12, 2015

I'm not sure what you mean by "full rate." It all depends on the language in the retainer agreement. Ask him for an explanation. This would not be considered a legal malpractice issue.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Indiana on
Q: I hire a lawyer, friend asks questions to lawyer, lawyer answer his questions is this a breach of contract?

I hired a lawyer, my friend was present at my meetings, i was never advised of my rights under the attorney client contract my friend asks questions to my lawyer about my case my lawyer answers them is this considered a breach of contract

Terrence Rubino
Terrence Rubino answered on Jun 30, 2011

communications between a lawyer and a client are confidential. if you had a friend sit in with you and your lawyer then that confidentiality is waived as to that meeting. any questions answered by the lawyer to the friend at that meeting is acceptable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.