Q: My dad an stepmother bought a piece of property together some years ago,she wanted to build a house on it.

My dad didn't want to put any money in the house to be built,so he did not. About 2yrs went by an my father took a nasty fall down the balcony stairs one night an now he has neurological problems an of course on medication. One evening i looked up the property an it use to be in both there names now only her name,so i asked my dad about this he didnt believe me i asked her she told me that i was wrong. Come to find out she asked my father to sign this piece of paper he did. Not knowing he was signing his half over to her. In a nutshell she stole my inheritance,can i do anything?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It wouldn't be your "inheritance" until he were to die. But you could talk to an attorney about possibly becoming his guardian and asking that the deed be set aside.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.