Antioch, TN asked in Employment Law and Education Law for Tennessee

Q: Perm Sub - can my school change my position and contract at will?

I started in July working as a Permanent Sub teaching High School English with the intent that the school that hired me would help with my pursuit of certification. I was also told that after getting my certification I would get a raise and be instated as an HS ELA teacher full stop. My contract explicitly states that I am the permanent sub for ELA.

Yesterday, the interim principal at the school pulled me aside to say that they were about to present an offer to someone for my position full time, and that they would prefer I pursue my ELL endorsement and become an ELL teacher instead.

As I'm contractually a permanent sub for ELA specifically, is there any way for me to fight this? I work in Tennessee, so I'm worried that if I try to that I will be let go entirely.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan William Doolan
Jonathan William Doolan
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Your answer depends greatly on the wording of the employment contract between you and your employer. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a local attorney who practices employment law and they can provide a better opinion after reading your contract.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.