Stewartstown, PA asked in Domestic Violence for Maryland

Q: I violated my probation on a no contact it is one of the conditions for probation.. the victim made a complaint will the

Police but no charges..the officer called my PO and told her I was in contact with victim.. so my question is is this a technical since it was a condition on my probation also will the victim be at my hearing he only made a complaint he did not press any charges

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: It's not a "technical" violation, like failing to pay a monthly supervision fee, but a violation of a special term of probation. Whether the PO will be able to prove the violation without the victim present to testify is another matter. Repeating hearsay phone calls from a responding police officer who merely repeats what the victim said to him is double hearsay and objectionable, even in a civil VOP hearing. Hire a lawyer if a VOP is filed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.