Dallas, TX asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: Would I qualify for spousal maintenance?

I have been in an abusive marriage for the past four years. We have been together for five years. It is incredibly toxic & I have finally decided leave. Prior to Covid I was a hairstylist however I developed severe carpal tunnel & my wife asked me to stop working in order to take care of the home. Over the last year, I have suffered an immense amount of physical abuse. I have documented everything with dates along with texts and emails from her supporting the events that happened as recently as two months ago. I plan to file a police report, however I will also need a restraining order meaning I would need to move out of the residence. I am planning to move out of my home and then the filing the police report. Because I’ve stopped working, she has been taking care of the finances. At this point, I would like to seek $500 per month in spousal maintenance in the divorce for either 12 months or 2 years, whichever is more feasible. She earns around $3500 per month. Is it possible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Tanaka
Jonathan Tanaka
  • Harker Heights, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I would suggest that you hire a local family law attorney in your area -- they will be better able to assist you once they have a better understanding of the fact surrounding your situation!

Generally, however, spousal maintenance is difficult to obtain.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.