Lawrenceville, GA asked in Car Accidents for Alabama

Q: I was injured in a car accident caused by a city bus driver. They are protected by a cap. Can I seek other damages?

The city has a $100,000 cap but my bills are well over that amount. Can I pursue punative damages and ask for pain and suffering?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An attorney who practices in the applicable jurisdiction could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. It isn't fully clear if this in Georgia or Alabama, as both appear in your question. Try to arrange a consult with an attorney in the jurisdiction where this took place. Move quickly because if you are dealing with a surface transit or other public carrier, you might be looking at short notice of claim requirements. Be mindful of whether those would apply in your jurisdiction. In terms of punitive damages, as a general matter in my experience, it often takes some form of egregious or deceitful conduct to open the door to those. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.