Henderson, NV asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nevada

Q: Judge gave custody of children to ex-husband. They do not want to live with father. Judge won't ask children. What to do

I've been in custody fight for 2 years. Court recently awarded father custody. My children don't want to live with their father, but judge won't speak with them (Girls- Ages 10, 12, 13) When I took them to meeting place, they would not go with thier father and police came. Police did not make them go. Ex- husband has a good job, three other children (boys) verbally abuses the girls and lives in three bedroom apartment. I do not have a job, but have bedrooms for the girls. I share home with ex-felon who the girls love but judge does not of course. At last court date we had to bring the girls, and in spite of them crying and screaming outside courtroom - judge made them go with father. A court appointed guardian (attorney) will investigate. Father took their phone away so they can't call me. I am not allowed to see them till next court three months away. What can I do? I feel the judge is predjudice and won't listen to anything I say. I also cannot afford an attorney and ex has one.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Although I understand and sympathize with your situation, generally speaking children younger than 15 or 16 years of age do not usually get to make decision as to custody preference. However, you might be able to have the children interviewed to see if the children's hesitation to go with the dad has anything to do with their safety.

I suggest you get an attorney to help you with this custody matter. Contact Nevada Legal Aid Services for possible assistance.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.