Miami, FL asked in Contracts, Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: Lawyer paperwork

My workers compensation case is done. I moved to another county. I've been contacting my WC lawyer to get my files so I can give them to my personal injury lawyer but she haven't been returning my calls back. Can i get my files from another facility if i live in a different county if everything is done electronically? I do not owe my lawyer any money.

1 Lawyer Answer
Domenic J. Celeste
Domenic J. Celeste
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I answered this same question under the workers' compensation topic. Here is my answer: "If your case is over and settled, your work comp attorney should have collected his/her costs from the settlement. These are costs for things, like obtaining your records, on the case. Thus, if your attorney was paid back his/her costs, the records are yours. I'm not sure why your work comp and personal injury attorney haven't been working together, but hindsight is 20/20. I'm also not sure what living in a different county matters, especially if the records are all electronic since they can easily be emailed to you. You should continue to try and get the records from your work comp attorney but, if you can't, your personal injury attorney may have to request them again (and pay)."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.