Elkton, MD asked in Family Law, Elder Law and Health Care Law for Maryland

Q: I'm being accused of elderly abuse of my mother, only because I will no send thousands of dollars out for free. What now

He husband passed Oct 16, 2021 Now he's gone, I'm the bad one because I won't send 20,000 dollars immediately after his passing

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you are being charged with a crime by the police or prosecuting authorities of the state, hire a criminal defense lawyer. If some family member or other person is just accusing you of elder abuse but is not an authorized representative of the State or local government having authority over elderly or disabled persons, then mere allegations of that nature may be defamatory to you, but are meaningless otherwise. Your post leaves much information and details unstated. It is impossible to evaluate what, if anything, you need to do to address whatever it is that is going on.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.