Columbia, MD asked in Traffic Tickets for Maryland

Q: If the bus is stopped and waits to extend the stop sign right as I'm passing by it, will I still be fined?

The bus driver was waiting for me to pass by before extending the stop signs and it just so happened to extend it right as I'm passing by. Can I fight the fine?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You can always go to court to fight these tickets by requesting a trial within the time period listed on the citation. There are two types of tickets for passing a school bus. First, you can pulled over by a police officer. If this is the case, request a trial within 30 days and go to court. These tickets carry points and a large fine. If the police officer does not appear, you will be acquitted. If the police officer appears, you can have a trial. Even if you are convicted, the judge can offer probation before judgment which avoids the points.

The second types is where you can caught on camera. These tickets carry a large fine, but do not carry points. You will be able to view the video. If you decide to fight it, request a trial and the judge can review the video and you can testify. If you were already passing the bus when the yellow lights came on and the sign was extended, you may very well win.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.