Bronx, NY asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for New York

Q: Can i sue if for excessive force if i get an acd or do i need a straight dismissal

I went to pick up an order of protection that was on me the sheriff told me i had to fo to a beooklyn precint and handed me the oop i then told him i spoke with an officer the day of the occurrence he slammed his handcuffs on me causing me to bleed i told him he hurt me and he squeezed harder on the cuff so i hit him as reaction of the pain they offered me a violation then a acd i have court tuesday can i still sue if i accept the acd or do i need the case dismissed in order to sue the officer also punched me in the back after i was hancuffed.. I need a civil lawyer willing to take my case in nyc please help me. i cant close my hand all the way

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can sue the police officer for excessive force regardless of whether the criminal complaint against you is dismissed or adjourned in contemplation of dismissal. One has nothing to do with the other. Here's an article I found online which you might find useful.,themselves%20or%20others%20from%20harm.&text=When%20it%20involves%20law%20enforcement,referred%20to%20as%20police%20brutality.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.