Tampa, FL asked in Uncategorized for Florida

Q: How can I change charges against me and then go back to the original charge okay

She was originally arrested and bonded out on two pill charges one methamphetamine charge and one paraphernalia charge. Then when it was filed with the clerk of courts it was filed as three pill charges one paraphernalia charge no meth charge. And now they dropped two pill charges and the paraphernalia charge so she is going to court on one pill charge. But since then they've also filed for the methamphetamine on August 9th but have not officially charged her with it yet or there's no court date or any information to be found on it other than that it was filed. So basically how are they allowed to bounce back and forth with the charges? Are they going to charge her with the meth charge and how long do they have to charge her with the meth charge after filing it on aug 9

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: A prosecutor can change charges a number of different times, however, the state only has 175 days after an arrest to file charges, and that is found in Florida Rule of Criminal Procedure 3.191.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.