Vienna, VA asked in Collections for Maryland

Q: MD CCU debt for car that had engine damage and was sold and no longer in my possession

Marryland Central collection unit is after me for a car that I had but was sold off, as the engine got damaged but I didn't return the title/plates. Now they are asking for tax arrears

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Daniel Staeven
Daniel Staeven
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Typically, the Central Collections unit will set up a payment arrangement with you. Additionally, they can be paid over the course of 5 years through a Chapter 13 bankruptcy case. You should contact an attorney to guide you through this process.

Scott Scherr agrees with this answer

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: I just want to add that CCU and the MVA will remove some or all of the penalties if you can prove that the car was sold. You will need proof which can take the form of an Affidvait signed by you and a bill of sale or other documentation from the buyer. If you do not have the documentation, the buyer might especially if it was sold to a junkyard. COMAR provides:

02 Adjustment of Penalty Assessment.

The penalty may be adjusted in the following situations, upon presentation of:

A. Written verification from a licensed insurance company that the insurance company has erred;

B. Written verification from a licensed insurance company that the vehicle was insured during the entire period in question;

C. A certified statement and evidence acceptable to the Administration from the vehicle owner that the vehicle:

(1) Was not operated during the period of lapse;

(2) Was not involved in an accident or collision during the period of lapse;

(3) Was not issued a citation during the period of lapse; and

(4) Had no prior insurance lapse; or

D. Written verification from the Maryland Insurance Administration that the vehicle owner, with good intent to be insured, paid the proper premiums to an insurance agent, insurance broker, or insurance company, who failed to provide motor vehicle liability insurance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.